Immigration Process to Uruguay

Immigration process

This is the first attempt of a step-by-step guide on how to apply for provisional and later permanent residence in Uruguay, in order to live and/or work here.

Please bear in mind that the original author of this guide has the Belgian nationality. Feel free to edit this document (rather than just comment below) where needed. Please also note that the addresses mentioned are all in Montevideo: if you live in another Departamento you need to go to the local offices. Thank you.


1. WHAT YOU NEED FROM YOUR COUNTRY (obtained in your country of origin or through the embassy or email correspondence with the authorities). Please note that there are things that you need immediately and other things that you can provide later so we will start with the most important ones:


– passport pictures

travel visa (if required for your country)

birth certificate (Partida de Nacimiento)

marriage certificate (if married to a Uruguayan permanent or provisional citizen)



What you don’t need to present immediately:

police certificate / criminal record / certificate of good behaviour (Antecedentes Penales or Buena Conducta) of the countries where you resided in the last 5 years. Only needed for adults (+18). Can be obtained from Interpol or your home country authorities. US citizens need to go to the local Interpol office in Montevideo to identify their fingerprints and Interpol will request the criminal record from the US.

proof of income (wages, pensions…)


NOTE: the birth/marriage certificates and the criminal record need to be translated for all nationalities (except Brazil) into Spanish by a Public Translator*. A list of Public Translators can be obtained from the DNI offices (address will follow in Step 3). These certificates also need to be certified by the consulate or embassy of your country in Montevideo, and subsequently legalized by the Uruguayan Ministry of Foreign Affairs (address: Colonia 1206).

Please note most of the total costs spent on the immigration process will likely go to the translations.


* Silvia Leta is a recognized public translator: email or phone 27096834, cell 099471774.



– ‘fit for work’ health certificate (Carné de Salud Laboral): can be obtained at any medical centre* and will cost  around 430 pesos. An example is the Centro de Medicina y Especialidades in Acevedo Díaz 1024 (make appointment online or by telephone 24016686). They will check your teeth, take a blood sample, take your body measurements and check your medical history.


3. Make appointment with DIRECCIÓN NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES (address: Misiones 1513)

Call 0800 1513. An automated menu will let you pick a date and time from the suggestions read out. You will also need to type in your passport number. 

Bring all the required documents as explained above with you (or as many as you can). If accepted, you should get a Certificado de Residencia en Trámite, which you need to get your provisional residential visa or Cédula (explained below).

The permanent residence is acquired after 2 years and for this process you pay 1717 pesos. NOTE: for each time during those 2 years that you travel outside Uruguay you need a Permiso de Reingreso (Return Permit) which can be bought at this office as well for 717 pesos. 

PLEASE NOTE: if you come from a MERCOSUR country or you have Uruguayan blood relatives, you need to have this whole process done at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs(address: Colonia 1206, first floor).


4. Make appointment at the DIRECCIÓN NACIONAL DE IDENTIFICACIÓN CIVIL (DNIC) (address: Rincón 665)

This is actually done at the side entrance, on the corner of Bartolomé Mitre and 25 de Mayo, where you get in line with your passport, your birth certificate and Certificado de Residencia en Trámite and they will assign you a date and time to present yourself at the main offices on Rincón 665. There is a special side entrance on Rincón 665 for all those with appointments. Make sure you are on time as if you miss your turn, it can take a long time before you are attended. Amongst other things they will take your picture and your fingerprints. At the end you will be given a date on which you can collect the Cédula (your provisional residency ID). Collection happens at the opposite side of where you started the process.


The whole process for the Cédula (including finding a translator) took me about a month in total. I still do not have the certification of my birth certificate and criminal record by the embassy and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This was a requirement for the Permanent Residence but NOT for the Cédula for some reason, so I think there is no point in requesting these if I leave the country within 2 years. Time enough to decide!


More info:


(first created Dec 15th, 2015)

I am not the author of this posted. Author is listed above and this was found on Facebook at the following link: